Comfortable and Effective Root Canal Therapy
Severe decay and trauma can result in an infected tooth. Root canal therapy performed at our Wilmington, DE, practice is a process of removing the infected inner tissue of the tooth and preserving the healthy outer tissue, eliminating the need for extraction. We take every measure to make this treatment as comfortable as possible for our patients. If you are experiencing symptoms of advanced tooth decay, including a toothache or inflamed gums, contact Smile Solutions by Emmi Dental Associates today and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dentists.
Who is a Candidate?
You may need root canal therapy if:
- You are experiencing a toothache.
- One or more of your teeth have become discolored.
- Your gums surrounding one or more teeth are tender, red, swollen, or bleeding.
- Your teeth are extremely sensitive when you eat or drink hot, cold, or sugary foods or beverages.
- You notice cold sores, growths, lesions, or irregularities in your gum texture that do not go away within several weeks.
- The tissue near a tooth smells or tastes foul.
- You have developed an abscess, or an inflamed pocket of tissue filled with pus. Abscesses often look like white bumps in the gums.
Our dentists will examine your smile, take x-rays, and discuss your symptoms to determine if a root canal or other treatment is right for you. We always strive to address patients' needs with the most conservative treatment possible. You can depend on our dentists to fully explain your treatment options so you can make an informed decision about your care and feel confident in your choices.
First, we will administer local anesthesia and, if necessary, nitrous oxide sedation, to keep you comfortable and calm. Next, we will create a small opening in your tooth to access the diseased inner tissue. After removing the blood vessels and nerve tissue, we will clean the root canals and wash away any remaining debris. We will then fill the tooth with a synthetic, rubber-like material called gutta-percha before sealing the tooth. In many cases, the final step in a root canal is the placement of a dental crown to support the compromised tooth.
We take every measure to make this treatment as comfortable as possible for our patients.
The benefits of a root canal include:
- Eliminating the need for extraction.
- Avoiding tooth loss.
- Preventing infection from spreading to other teeth or throughout your body.
- Relieving uncomfortable symptoms so you can speak, chew, and smile more comfortably.
We will take all the time necessary to explain the procedure and its benefits during your initial consultation.
Learn More about Root Canal Therapy
A root canal can help you preserve and improve the health of your smile. Dr. Emmi and his staff pride themselves on making procedures such as root canals absolutely comfortable. Meanwhile, our high quality of care can help you achieve many years of benefits following treatment. Our helpful and friendly staff can help determine if your insurance plan will contribute to your treatment, and what the final cost of root canal therapy is. If you are experiencing symptoms of dental infection, contact our practice today to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists.