TMJ Disorder & Treatments in Wilmington
TMJ (temporomandibular joint), which is the name for each joint that connects your jaw to your skull. (Both right and left sides).
Do you have TMJ Disorder?
Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself:
- Do you wake up with sore, stiff muscles around your jaws?
- Are you aware of grinding or clenching your teeth?
- Do you have frequent headaches or neck aches?
- Does stress make your clenching and joint pain worse?
- Is it difficult or painful to open your mouth, eat, or yawn?
The more times you have answered YES, the more likely it is that you have TMJ disorder. Having knowledge about TMJ disorder will help you understand how it can be treated.
What Causes TMJ?
1. Grinding or clinching your teeth while sleeping
- Playing sports
- Auto Collision
- Hit face or chin due to accidental fall
3. Disease such as arthritis can damage the joint directly or stretch, tear the muscle ligaments.
Once evaluation confirms a diagnosis of TMJ, your doctor will determine the proper course of treatment. Be advised treatment does take time to become effective.
a) Night guard
b) Custom made splint
- Self-care treatment
a) Resting jaw
b) Keeping teeth apart
c) Eat soft foods
d) Apply ice and heat
- Anti-Inflammatory medications or muscle relaxants